Pages

Sunday, April 12, 2020

SCORCHED



3 a.m. 
and the road out here
is quiet as the moon

normally some solitary soul 
would be puttering by even
at this hour but
it's Easter morn and
everyone's sleeping on
their modified plans

no mass (no mas)
and you've got no one
to model your bonnet for
but you've got that chocolate
bunny you will mash into
your face at the appropriate moment
fingers all black and sticky
with the mortal sin of it but
on the third day you will rise
and begin your diet

no rest for me
up working again
on the new book
still trying to learn how
after all this time
to fit into this skin
less awkwardly
to be a "person"
inhabiting a planet
and to tone down the 
frightful jitters of that

not my nature to feel at ease
inside this meat suit
(something I've seldom 
talked about)  

having decided
that burning the candle
at both ends  
is the only thing
that will distract me
from the terrible Mork-ness of it

I'm not from around here

and I've given up fighting
the insomnia
just incorporated
the extra hours into my 
routineless routine

still trying to skate by
beneath this scorched
and blackened sky 



18 comments:

  1. I especially like the line "I'm not from around here." I forgot it was Easter till I read this. I guess I have acclimated. Don't wear those bonnets anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything starts to blend in during this one-size-fits-all time. Don't let that happen.

      Delete
  2. I love "to be a "person"
    inhabiting a planet
    and to tone down the
    frightful jitters of that" and my favourite "still trying to skate by
    beneath this scorched
    and blackened sky " Excellent

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marja! Your feedback is always appreciated.

      Delete
  3. "everyone's sleeping on their modified plans" So true! A day in social distancing is a familiar beast in each of our days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess we're all just trying to do the best we can. You've expressed the strangeness and uncertainty well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do strange well...it comes with the territory :)

      Delete
  5. A "routineless routine" sounds accurate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those routineless routines can become so routine.

      Delete
  6. When it is all over I wonder if we will go back to our negigent ways or establish a safe routine that keeps us as safe as possible, or is being free to be careless one of things we enjoy too much?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're seeing, in concrete terms, the effects of our carelessness, as pollution levels are down now due to our inactivity...one wishes it could stay that way but we know it won't.

      Delete
  7. "and I've given up fighting
    the insomnia"

    Indeed these lines teach a good lesson in isolation tmes, we never thought we come come to this

    Easter Blessings

    Much🌼love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you! (The long strange trip gets stranger by the minute)

      Delete
  8. It's hard
    Keep well
    Keep safe
    Keep writing
    Keep laughing
    Keep on
    Keeping on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You come along at just the right time...I needed that from you!

      Delete