Pages

Saturday, April 18, 2020

A NOTE FROM LUCIFER HIMSELF




I'll drive down the street
and see peeps walking along
from the back
I can't see their faces
just their shape and
male or female
though that's not always
easy to discern

and the game I play

is if I could
would I trade places
with this person? 

I have to decide before

I pass them by
no fair looking
at their faces 
split-second decision
(leap of faith based
upon incomplete information--
so familiar to me)

and I surprise myself at

how many times I say no
I'm not switching
even though I often see
it's someone younger
likely in better health
and better shape 
prolly with everything
going for them
and I surprise myself
at how often
I would still choose to be me

guess it's the old devil

that you know
is better than the one
you don't know

and I'm nothing

if not an old devil
with a lot
of really hot
memories


18 comments:

  1. Hey, Tim! Good to read your devilish verses again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kerry! I enjoy reading yours on Instagram.

      Delete
  2. I agree. I wouldn't swap me - horns and all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For a devil, I used to be a lot hornier...know what I mean?

      Delete
  3. How important it is to have confidence in yourself when meeting people rather than being too shy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They key to this poem is in the last stanza. Would I trade all those memories--meaning experiences--for someone else's...someone who may have lived a mundane life. Mundane would definitely not describe mine!

      Delete
  4. Would not trade lives with anyone either! Great choice and the memories you have I am sure are priceless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Priceless, yes. That doesn't mean I would want to live the same life over again, because the not so priceless moments, and the worthless moments were plentiful too. One go round as you, then you move on to something different. That's how I hope it works, anyway. :)

      Delete
  5. I'll stay me..not sure I would like the fit of someone else's body or mind. Love the game

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here's to the hot memories! There's no-one I'd trade with either, for that and many reasons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hot memories...the Tabasco sauce of my mind!

      Delete
  7. Interedting that the trickster himself seems confused
    Thanks for dropping by my sumie Sundsy Timoteo

    Much💛love

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. It's nice to speculate, and nice to let your mind wander, but in the end there's no place like home.

      Delete
  9. I needed a smile during this time of plague. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A big smile back, and thanks for being there!

      Delete