Pages

Sunday, June 2, 2019

LONG WINTER'S NIGHT



Should I sleep in my clothes again
or does it matter to anyone but me?
(Oh, there's crumbs in my beard...
maybe tomorrow I'll brush them out.)

There are nights when the fog rolls in
so heavy that the pale light of your lantern
won't begin to cut a path forward.

And you haven't got a dog
you haven't got a woman
and you just ran out of beer.

What is dead is restless
and you've rescued no one.

That portends a long winter's night
and summer has just begun.

 I'll leave the window cracked a bit
in case there are ghosts who want
to slip in to hurl their final accusations.

Then I will sleep
and close my eyes
to everything that dies.

16 comments:

  1. Upon careful investigation/ consideration/ investigation … Sounds good to me, friend Tim … Welcome to reality. Love, cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd put out the welcome mat but stray ghosts have peed on it too much.

      Delete
  2. Maybe you can rescue a dog, Tim. I hate living without one, but up here landlords say No Pets. Sigh. I love the lines about the fog rolling in so heavy........and keeping the window cracked a bit. Smiles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sherry. Perhaps you'll find a living situation that allows animals. I wonder if a pet rock would go against their policy.

      Delete
  3. i say leave the windows open and let all the ghosts in...they all offer words for further writing i have found...bkm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is true...but they keep me up nights.

      Delete
    2. Futile lonely feeling to this one.Made me sad. I hope a Xena warrior princess rides by in the desert and rescues you.Best get rid of the beard...she wont like the crumbs:)

      Delete
    3. Ha ha...she might be a bit too rough and tumble for me. I've seen what she does to most men! Maybe it's the casual attitude about crumbs that leads one to the solitary life...or the solitary life leads one to a casual attitude about crumbs.

      Delete
  4. ... one can survive without a lover and even beer ... but no sweet little dog who will love you despite crumbs in your beard? Dogs are easy, women are not, and beer can lead to trouble :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beer is easy...dogs are not...and women can lead to trouble. Six of one, half dozen of the other :)

      Delete
  5. Every line resonates with me (except for the crumbs in my beard).

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete