Pages

Tuesday, January 16, 2018

ALONG THE PATH



old couples
meandering through the park
make me smile
though I'll never be fifty percent
of that kinda awesome twosome

peeps with pooches
the more the better
movin
stoppin
sniffin
make me smile
'specially when they choose me
to spontaneously lick
(the pooches not the peeps)
when I happen along
though all the lickers
I've known up close and personal
have slurped their last of me

 speakin of which...

young couples 
with strollers
movin along the path
always conversing
animatedly
about somethin
cuz they've got a lot goin on
in their world
make me smile
though no one's ever called me "daddy"
'cept a couple of floozies
back in the day
along the way
along the path 
I choose to walk alone 
but in my solitude
there's still some gratitude
still some reasons
every day
to smile

cuz it finally hit me ya know
that when I pop outta dat bed
each mornin
and still be hangin
round
still upright
and not uptight
that it's only by The Grace
it's only by The Grace
it's only by The Grace
say it again
it's only by The Grace
so come what may
I'll always find a reason
don't even need 
a freakin reason
to smile 



30 comments:

  1. I giggled at some of your lines. Though seriously i luv The Grace and the happy hearts who is happy to see others happy

    Thanks for dropping by my blog today Timoteo
    8
    Much💝love

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2018 ... Another year to get older and wiser ... Greetings to U and Grace and all dat Jazz ... Love, cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jazz says hi back...dunno where Grace is at the moment, but somewhere nearby I'm sure :)

      Delete
  3. Love this! Such a wonderfully positive and uplifting write 💞

    ReplyDelete
  4. "still upright
    and not uptight
    that it's only by The Grace"... Amen to that

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen to still walking upright... I love solitary walks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Walkin' Man"--James Taylor..."Solitary Man"...Neil Diamond--two songs that come to mind when I'm walkin :)

      Delete
  6. We can always wish to be like "them", but having a smile goes a long way to being us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Being a pooch lover, all what you say is good by me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You chose a different path Good for you and pleased you are smiling. Your poem is a treat like a g&t after a swim on a hot summer's day. May you find a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much...I'll go and have that g & t in your honor!

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sara, and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  10. I'll always find a reason
    don't even need
    a freakin reason
    to smile

    By the Grace of God one is blessed with the inner satisfaction!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  11. There should always be a smile and hopefully a reason.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very touching ! Lonely and more, but a soft smile.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I enjoyed taking your walk with you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is a wonderful way to be! Smiles are catchy too, when I'm out and about I smile at people no matter how I feel inside it's so worth it. You sound like a people-watcher, so am I! Some times on my rides people don't smile back and it always makes me wonder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bekkie! What I appreciate is the way MOST people, when you get out in nature--on a hiking or biking trail--will smile and say hello, whereas in the city they most likely wouldn't. There is something about nature that turns us human again!

      Delete
  15. What a great voice in this poem. Enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete