Pages

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

2010 ALL SOULS PROCESSION--TUCSON, AZ







The 21st annual All Souls Procession was held in Tucson on Sunday evening, November 7th. Inspired by Mexico's Dia De Los Muertos holiday, All Souls is a bit of Mardi Gras, New Orleans style jazz funeral, and Burning Man celebration rolled into one. It's a time of remembrance for departed loved ones, and a simultaneous celebration of life.
(I'm still learning the fine points of resizing my videos to meet Blogger's requirements, so double click on the the videos below for easier viewing.)

At the spectacular finale, members of the Tucson based troupe Flam Chen are lifted high into the air by a giant crane, performing their amazing aerobatics and derring-do without a net. Just below them, a giant urn filled with the names of departed loved ones is set afire. (The young woman twisting and twirling at the end of the silk in this video is a friend of mine!)


Bonus footage!

9 comments:

  1. I know I've lived before and will live again, once it thrilled me and now sometimes I get so tired, that I wonder If I wouldn't just like to rest...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Asi se vive un dia de los muertos...yes madam GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, it sounds like fun. I wanna go.

    Tim, are you a Burner? I'm a 6 time Burner, planning to once again go "home" to the playa this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely fascinating. This choked me up - it reminded me of a dear friend I lost last year. I like to think she's already somewhere new...taking baby steps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing celebration! I wish I could have attended. ^-^

    As I snuggled my kitties Sunday night, I watched Ong-Bak: The Thai Warrior. I LOVE martial arts movies, and this is one of the best ones I've seen. Tony Jaa is AMAZING. I'm in awe & feel possessed to go find the nearest Muy Thai school & join. ^-^

    ReplyDelete
  6. LORRAINE,
    Yeah, but that can get boring...:)

    DULCE,
    Mamacita, donde esta Santa Claus?

    ARLENE,
    I want to know more about that!

    TALON,
    Yes, there is much emotion attached to it.

    DUCHESS,
    EEEE-YAAHHHH!

    ReplyDelete
  7. stunning images...
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome to our potluck week 10, a poetry award is assigned upon submission.
    Old poems are welcome …hurry up, you have 12 hours to go before we are closed.
    Hope to see you there. Cheers!
    http://jinglepoetry.blogspot.com/2010/11/poetry-potluck-moods-feelings-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Greetings, how are you today?
    we are so happy to have you at our potluck and thanks a bunch for the sweet contribution. Your involvement means a lot to us.
    Any poem is acceptable, simply share and enjoy...
    week 11 is open, hope to see you in.
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete