Pages

Saturday, October 19, 2019

GOD BLESS



3 a.m. on a Sunday
and I'm tradin' sleep for a poem

thinking 'bout all the folks
who will don their Sunday finery
to hang out in a pew
with you and you and you
and you
still don't get it
that your soul is immortal
and not in need of savin'

but sure
I get it
it's a sense of comm
unity
we gather together to ask 
the Lord's blessing

and even though I'm fallin' apart
in my decrepitude
I'm good to go with all of that
don't feel the need
cuz a coupla peeps singing loudly off key
on either side of me
isn't exactly what I call "inspirational"

having said all that
I'll admit I've prayed before
but it's always been 
a white-knuckled
get me out of this freakin' jam
kinda thing 
and by god 
somehow...
somehow...

so let me say that if you don't feel 
a connection
with something larger than
your own ego
whatever you wanna call it
then I have to wonder about ya
as in how did you miss it?
(ah--your head was buried in your phone!)

goddamn

my pen is running out of ink
so I guess I'll close for now
but it's been nice chatting with you
and if you don't mind 
I'd rather not ruin my rep
as heathen in good standing
so let's just keep all this stuff
between you and me

God bless

22 comments:

  1. Your poems always make me smile, Tim. I especially love the closing lines. Great to see you in the Pantry, kiddo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes - I agree your poem definitely raises a smile

    ReplyDelete
  3. Smiles from me too! I know what you're saying, Tim.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No I don't think it's buried in the phone...probably inserted in an unpleasant part of the anatomy:)Enjoy your Sunday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for expressing what I was too polite to say--lol

      Delete
  5. I wonder too if it's not a game of hypocrisy... in the end I think we are judged by our deeds not by the prayers and songs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya. Then again, a lot more folks would be out of control right now if we didn't have a large segment of the population thinking they should be good and play down their base instincts or be punished by their anthropomorphic god.

      Delete
  6. I hear ya Tim,and thanks for the smiles.😄🤗😉

    ReplyDelete
  7. ha - you sing a hymn of truth. I am not sure going to church every Sunday will save one's soul but, it keeps some people in line I guess. I have often traded sleep for a poem at 3:00 am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those 3 a.m. poems...when you write one, you feel like your ahead of the game for the rest of the day!

      Delete
  8. It's amazing how little importance is given to personal interaction and how social media is taking over young minds these days. I have seen many a person absorbed in the phone while in conversation, I wonder how much longer until their minds are completely taken over?

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is awesome, Tim. Casually incisive. I love the question: "how did you miss it?"...that there is something bigger than human ego. It seems so obvious. How is it not obvious? Thanks for sharing this. I related well and really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yup--although I wonder about how many people come to church on Sunday seeking absolution for Saturday night

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They know they did something, but they don't remember what it was...so to be on the safe side, better go to church on Sunday morning--lol

      Delete