Pages

Thursday, May 2, 2019

ANOTHER APRIL

d'Verse Poets Pub--Imaginary Garden With Real Toads


What is this "growing old gracefully" shit?
Does it mean that you will not bitch
about your aches and pains?
Does it mean you won't wince when
women call you Sir?
And does it mean that you will
no longer be able
to hop up on the table at the dance
and drop your pants?

And if you did 

would they all just snicker
instead of scream?

I like to think of grace

as maintaining my own pace.
Each day the road is filled with
cars
trucks
motor homes
and bulldozers
gunning past me like I'm standing still
just because I'm doing only
ten miles an hour over the speed limit. 
If any of them had been on 
The Hindenburg or
The Titanic
they'd have learned that you 
don't want to always be in 
such a frightful hurry 
to get where you're going to end up.

Another April has come and gone

and I'm in less of a tizzy
more inclined to listen to
music instead of news
rollin' down the road to my man
Jimmy Reed wailing the blues.

So I'll take some time

to take the long way home
and when I run out of pavement
I want the radio to be playing
that same sweet refrain
as I fade into the topaz twilight.

18 comments:

  1. I so agree about not being in such a big hurry. I love this poem, love your taking the long way home, and the blues playing when you run out of road. Fading into a topaz twilight sounds peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sherry! April is my birth month, so I wax philosophical about it sometimes.

      Delete
  2. My brother Michael's birthday was in April as well … At his funeral he wanted no words just this song … https://youtu.be/D5ILs03QsoQ … Love, cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogger doesn't pick up links, for some reason. But it's the thought that counts.

      Delete
  3. Yes, another April has come and gone... how many more I wonder...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The passing of time...the passing of people we knew...the passing of gas...it's all tied in!

      Delete
  4. I agree, people have made up their own minds regarding the ageing process and the "dos and don'ts" to fit better in society. Well I say bullshit! A person has every right to live his life the way he wants.❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your spirit and your spunk, Sanaa! Right on! (as we used to say.)

      Delete
  5. I thought you were going to say 'put a lampshade on your head' but you dropped your pants. I love grace as going at your own pace. I watch the news more, hoping every day for it to stop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a singles dance I used to go to back in the day, and this guy I knew would get lit up and get up on the table and drop his pants. And he was the son of a famous person--lol. As for the news...no, it's not going to stop anytime soon...that's why I take it in extremely small doses. Cheers!

      Delete
  6. when the lark becomes the buzzard, its tune changes but its appetite does not diminish. Take my word for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't have to take your word for it, Ron. I live it--lol

      Delete
  7. Nice..since each of us has to age anyway he might just as well enjoy it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always remember what I heard someone say..."When you rush, you lose grace." And I try to be as graceful as possible!

      Delete
  8. It's a luxury when you can go at your own pace, say what you think without the need of anyone's approval .I always take the long scenic route home,listening to music. I am not so worried about you dropping your pants but jumping up on tables is ill advised at your age.Recommended...a nice slow samba amongst the cactus on a hot summers moonlit night:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "At my age"--thanks for throwing that in--lol. A samba on a summer's eve, yes I'll go for that. No need to drop the pants because the moon is already out!

      Delete
  9. I love this! Everything about it (including Jimmy).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Rosemary. Jimmy is good, ain't he?

      Delete