Pages

Sunday, May 3, 2020

WAITING FOR THE DAWN



When Frank Sinatra comes on 
singing "New York New York"
I shut off the radio. They'd been
playing some pretty 
decent stuff up till then
but that's like an obscene joke now.


 Still thirteen hours 
to go before dawn
and there's no guarantee
I will sleep any of it away.


Reading poems by Bukowski
and Raymond Carver. 
I buy books off the internet
to read on my Kindle.  
I buy plenty of books that way.
(I know you never buy a damn
book, but all your libraries are closed!)


I'm looking for something there, 
but so often I find disappointment.
Like the time--
it was a long time ago now--
I was at this singles dance
and this woman I didn't know
looked at me like she could
see right through me and she says:
You're looking for something...
but you're not going to find it here.


What did she think I was looking for?
Happily Ever After?


I still don't know.


But there's twelve hours to go before dawn...


and I know 
I'm going 
to have to
fill it 
with something 
that passes 
for living.

6 comments:

  1. I read poem online, poems written by friend in various groups at Facebook and through linkies.
    I am one of those who still luv that old aesthetic holding the paper book in hand to read. I luv to go to the library reading shelves and trolleys to find what i am in the mood to read

    Well, the library part is on hold for now

    Be safe Timoteo

    Much💛🌺💛love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As an author, I'm conscious of supporting other authors by buying some books now and then. What's great about that is you never have to return them or pay any late fees to the library!

      Delete
  2. Ha, I too buy lots of books on Kindle, and both Carver and Bukowski are among my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always knew you had good taste, Rosemary!

      Delete
  3. On-line books have their purpose, I suppose, but they will NEVER replace the smell of a used book store, the satisfaction of turning the pages and seeing how many are left, the pleasure at a shelf filled with special books that require re-visit, and a trip to the library!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have lots physical books, AND lots of ebooks--I don't limit myself as to format when there is something I really want to read.But I agree with you , there's nothing like a used book store to get wrapped up in, especially on a rainy day. They, are disappearing, though.

      Delete