Pages

Sunday, September 8, 2019

MIDNIGHT AT THE OASIS


Used to sometimes drop into
The Maverick Bar
just for the hell of it--
back in the day
it was the premier country-western 
spot in town for two steppers
and two timers lookin' to hook up.

One night as I was leavin' there

sitting in my car
these two drunk chicks
came stumbling out.
They were lookin' for a ride
and I would have obliged them
in one way or another.

One of them poked her head 

with all that teased blonde hair 
inside my open passenger side window
and got a bead on me,
sizing me up as best she could
for the state she was in (Arizona).

And then she said to her friend:

Why hell, Betty Sue...
he ain't even a COWBOY!

And as they tottered off in search

of a big Stetson hat
and whatever else might come 
along with that package 
I said to myself:

No, pardner...

you sure ain't no cowboy.

At least you got that goin' for ya.

10 comments:

  1. Ha... maybe it's a compliment of sorts... I remember when I lived in Arizona I got a bit carried away, and wore a bola-tie with my Wranglers... boots but never a Stetson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easy to get carried away with that out here, for sure. I had a cowboy hat once, but it disappeared after moving around from here to there. I still have my boots, which I only wear when I want to appear taller than I really am...just like most cowboys do. :)

      Delete
  2. This gave me a real chuckle. "for the state she was in (Arizona)" my favorite line. oh and the "two steppers and two timers lookin to hook up"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know the same things that strike me as funny do the same for you!

      Delete
  3. Like the edgy humor here Tim... put a smile on my face with that closing line. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the humor in this one, Timoteo! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sanaa! It always warms my heart to hear from you.

      Delete
  5. Ha! I liked the two steppers and two timers. She dropped a bead on you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No...but I think she spit out her gum in my car!

      Delete