Pages

Tuesday, February 26, 2019

SIVVY


I think of all the decades
I eked it out
and scratched it out
and to what end 
I ask myself  
but I did it
and I still don't know
why you couldn't manage
the simple multi-tasking
of putting one foot forward
and then the other one
and then the other one again
it's called life
and I still don't know why
with all you had
and what you left behind
you didn't want it.

Yes, I'm pissed at you

having seen most of your pictures 
and there are a lot of them
(I can't...I can't...get over 
 that white bathing suit)
and falling in love with a dead
legend is strictly the purview of
hopeless romantics and I raise
my hand
no longer
ashamed 
having been around
a few live ones in my time.

And you need to know that there

is the person and there is the legend
and the two don't necessarily have
to have a lot to do with one another. 

But the legend

rolls head over ass downhill
in all that white powder 
until it becomes larger than life 
or at least as big
as Frosty's balls and 
that's disproportionate to what
any human can carry.

In you last collection

you mentioned carbon monoxide
multiple times--
you were dropping hints
like Hansel and Gretel 
with a loaf of Wonder Bread.

Yes, you weren't right in the head.

Is that all we're going to say?
Is that where we should leave it?

Maybe, like me,  
you asked yourself
to what end...to what end... 
and saw the answer come up empty.

You wrote: We should meet in another life,

we should meet in air, me and you.

I'm just crazy enough to think

you might have been talking to me.

18 comments:

  1. This certainly gives one reason to pause and think about what drives people. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. https://www.youtube.com/embed/-FDkzgdouwI?rel=0&controls=0&showinfo=0 … Life is short and then u die. Love, cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gee, I coulda just used the Cliff Notes version there

      Delete
  3. I really liked this tribute. You did a good job of capturing the anger and defeat of the narrator but also added a layer of bittersweet. Well done, sir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, and good to hear from you. The link to the interview you did with me is still posted here!

      Delete
  4. I like your definition of life...trudging along one foot in front of the other. I hope Sylvia is wearing her white bathing suit when you meet up. Say hi from me. She is one of my favourite poets.:) you are a legend too. You are still here an writing poetry and still retaining a sense of humour. I am empathetic with her suicidal thoughts. Anyone who had the misfortune of living with Ted Hughes and had to endure one of the coldest winters in a cold water flat in London would have given it consideration. Loved your poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words! Always appreciate your thoughtful observations. I feel like you and I could have a good conversation about those final days. There is a lot of conflicting information and speculation about them, leading to various theories as to what finally sent her over the edge. The fact that we will never know, exactly, only adds to her legend.

      Delete
  5. This is my new favorite from you, Timoteo! Such palpable emotions in this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow--many thanks, Sanaa! I always look forward to reading your work.

      Delete
  6. I still don't know
    why you couldn't manage
    the simple multi-tasking
    of putting one foot forward
    and then the other one...

    It seems such a simple matter, this thing called life - just live each day. Yet I wonder, how many of us are right in the head. maybe those that take themselves out are more sane than those who keep going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kerry...there are many professionals who have stated that a depressed person is just someone who sees life the way it truly is, and reacts accordingly. In other words, the ultimate realist. I'm well aware of that, and that's why I do my best to keep it real--lol I consider life to be the challenge to find or create some kind of meaning or purpose in spite of all that.

      Delete
  7. Oh that putting one foot in front of the other can be so hard at times. My mind doesn't always agree with my stride. I do try to keep it real. Thank goodness my poetry helps me express my dream/nightmare side. It doesn't sit well when I blurt out, "Yesterday the cat told me..." lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to hear what you and the cat have been talking about!

      Delete
    2. I blog in that mode often. Of course the cats don't speak English (or do they? "No." "Now!" "Ow!" "Me?" covers a lot). I translate freely from their behavior to post about cat concerns like unsatisfactory store-brand kibble, being left alone all day, and the intolerable weirdness of something that looks like a cat inside a thin laptop computer screen.

      Delete
  8. Again, a nifty prompt Tim!
    __ A quick, "sort of" Cinquain... as we soft stride, taking our steps forward into each new day; daysteps isn't a real word, but.

    Today
    eyes tomorrow,
    seen with hearts pure value
    as we guide our daysteps pathway,
    soft strides.

    _m

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walking softly upon that path. Leaving a light carbon footprint. Thanks, my friend!

      Delete
  9. Another Plath fan here, enjoying this poem...There's a theory that she intended to shake TH up with another suicide attempt rather than actually end it all, but then again, being divorced *and* off cocaine *and* an epic cold sufferer...who knows?

    ReplyDelete