Pages

Sunday, June 28, 2020

THE STRAIGHT POOP

I enjoy going back through some of my older poems and finding ones that seem to fit the present situation, perhaps better than when they were originally published. This is one such poem.


If you got outta bed
this morning
you're an optimist
plain and simple
otherwise why would you?

I mean really

you're getting ready
to do your thing
goin' to work
goin' to play
goin' to get drunk 
and the sun is shining
and the birds are tweeting
( many of them have Twitter accounts)
and you just don't think about
how it can all turn to
shit
without a moment's notice
like the snap of your fingers

We live in denial

about the true nature of life
and the turning to shit factor
we just get up every day
and figure that everything
is gonna be fine
but then circumstances
beyond your control
and that's really the key
beyond your control
kick in 
and you stand there
shell-shocked
reassessing everything 
you poor pathetic 
a-hole

What did I do wrong?


Well it was nothing

try to understand that it was
nothing
it's just your turn
in the barrel
and everybody gets his turn
cuz we're all here to learn

And that's really when 

it hits you
that you gotta be brave
that you gotta find meaning
when all the evidence points to
a universe as cold
as a witch's left (or is it right?) tit  

And so you wrack your brain 

with the question...

What da fuk 

what da fuk
what da fuk
should I do?

Don't worry Bunky...

you'll 
think 
of 
something

Being brave enough to climb

out of bed is the first step

33 comments:

  1. I always suspected that of birds, that they have Twitter accounts. I'm almost sure the pigeons living on my local train station poop on everyone just so they can take pictures and post them online. Hm, the little crappers probably have Instagram, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You makin' me grin, Magaly...you makin' me grin...:)

      Delete
  2. The true pessimist's saying is:

    Today I woke which ruined the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me sleep in da day,
    it's not so bad, hey, hey, hey.

    I wake up at night to go to work
    like many other jerks.

    I tell myself and lil Theo,
    my lil cat leo:
    Gotta make us sum money,
    honey...
    and then I just go
    and flow with the flow.

    Theo sends a kisses and purrs to Jazz,
    who still has much pizzazz.

    Love,
    cat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet poem! Jazz says, "let me sleep on that!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find it easier to get up when I skip watching the news. But I resonate wth the dismay, the "what do I do now?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it's not a conscious decision...sometimes you fall out of bed, and there you are!

      Delete
  6. I get up and hope the shit doesn't hit the fan before my coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  7. awakened
    we step to another day
    Fear of luck

    __ Here, as days-rise, there may be this mis-written and hidden rhyme, as we face our loss of sanity and the fear failures; each new day we are the kings of ourselves, each day are our own
    "King 'Lear of ....' ?" _m

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Each day we are the kings of ourselves"--I like that a lot, my man!

      Delete
  8. you'll think of something
    Climbing out of bed is the first step

    Things have a way of resolving itself as long as one starts cracking. To dilly-dally will make it difficult! Very true Tim!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Back for second readings... You are so correct in your intro note. This one certainly fits the current shitty times. It's a good reminder--even when things really stink, there is always the chance that tomorrow will bring a fresh breeze.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wind blows in so many directions...an ill win blows no good, etc. There is one and only one thing in our favor. It's called the Law Of Averages, and down through the ages it has shown to be consistent. Bad times never last...but bad people do--lol

      Delete
  11. Some days are just meant to keep us humble. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better dung-free day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For those of us who have slipped and fallen right into it, nothing short of getting hosed down in the yard will help!

      Delete
  12. I truly believe like you said "and everybody gets his turn
    cuz we're all here to learn" so we just get on with it as best as we can I guess and learn along the way

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes very apt ... and these days we are experiencing all this collectively as well as individually!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The human spirit fights on. Sometimes I wonder why.

      Delete
  14. thanks for this poem. made my day. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sh*t happens. I get out of bed because I know I will feel better later and I don't want to miss that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The high point of my day is when I temporarily forget who and where I am...:)

      Delete
  16. I needed this today. We are in a sh*t storm, but the sun may actually come out and I'd miss it if I buried my head in sheets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we take our solace when and where we can find it.

      Delete
  17. This reminds me of. "Sometimes you're the windshield and sometimes you're the bug."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny...or I'd rather be a hammer than a nail. We're getting really hammered right now.

      Delete