Pages

Sunday, November 19, 2017

GOD BLESS



3 a.m. on a Sunday
and I'm tradin' sleep for a poem

thinking 'bout all the folks
who will don their Sunday finery
to hang out in a pew
with you and you and you
and you
still don't get it
that your soul is immortal
and not in need of savin'

but sure
I get it
it's a sense of comm
unity
we gather together to ask 
the Lord's blessing

and even though I may be fallin' apart
in my decrepitude
I'm good to go with all of that
don't feel the need
cuz a coupla peeps singing loudly off key
on either side of me
isn't exactly what I call "inspirational"

having said all that
I'll admit I've prayed before
but it's always been 
a white-knuckled
get me out of this freakin' jam
kinda thing 
and by god 
somehow...
somehow...

so let me say that if you don't feel 
a connection
with something larger than
your own ego
whatever you wanna call it
then I have to wonder about ya
as in how did you miss it?
(ah--your head was buried in your phone!)

goddamn

my pen is running out of ink
so I guess I'll close for now
but it's been nice chatting with you
and if you don't mind 
I'd rather not ruin my rep
as heathen in good standing
so let's just keep all this stuff
between you and me

God bless

22 comments:

  1. god bless America god damnit ... meouw ... Love, cat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sigh.. beautifully written. May God have mercy on us and bless us all. Amen. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this stream of consciousness, which may be the God part of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that thought...best to you for the holidays, Colleen.

      Delete
  4. Gods are complicated things, especially for those who believe they know all they need and what others need too (to be happy). Some only need a pen, and truth, and space to pray or not in any way they choose. That's a blessing... with ink in it, methinks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Magaly, I feel the heart of a poet coming through every time you comment...and so appreciated here.

      Delete
  5. Love the raw honesty in your words. God blessus all!😊

    ReplyDelete
  6. I laughed out loud at the line: (ah--your head was buried in your phone!) Too many times the cell phone becomes the god of everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly has taken over, hasn't it? And if the smart phone is the deity, it proves that God is on the inside and not the outside!

      Delete
  7. Not much of churchgoer myself... but the few times I've been there I probably sing off key :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not a churchgoer too - worry about some of the folk who attend...nice as ninepence til your back is turned...how can that sit right?
    Love the honesty of your words T.
    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, so much hypocrisy in the name of religion. We can claim to be anything we want. But our actions and attitudes are what define us. Good to hear from you!

      Delete
  9. God loves a sinner.Reassuring eh ! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good, because sin is so much more attractive than anything else. Now, let's go do some more!

      Delete
  10. I used to pew sit, but don't have the desire any more. I'm a bit ornery, but I still pray. Shhh about the ornery stuff.

    ReplyDelete