Pages

Wednesday, December 28, 2016

CONJURING A GHOST--THIRTY MINUTES TILL THE NEW YEAR


I was flipping around
and landed on one of the Spanish channels
and suddenly thought of you
and wondered what you'd be doing
about now
and wondering how your life turned out
minus me

I didn't really know who you were

when you left that message
at the station
you wanted to meet me
that was how you operated
call and schedule an audience

I didn't know your songs

were on the radio
or that you would sing
your national anthem
to a worldwide audience
the night George Foreman fought 
that Puerto Rican kid 
for the title in Tokyo

 I came over to your place

( cuz took requests whenever possible)
and you made your grand entrance

I knew you were disappointed

cuz I didn't dress up
and acted disinterested
you drove me to the hotel
and I knew I had some balls
just asking you to do it

Your roommate became the intermediary after that

and she said well, you are who you are
and she likes to go to the fancy clubs
and she's wondering
would you really be comfortable with that?

The last time I saw you was at the beach

you broke free from your entourage 
came up and gave me a hug
and then you were gone

You married one of your own

naturally
with little ones and that whole trip
and hell
don't know why
guess it's just that it's 30 minutes
till the new year
and those bikini waxed babes are
shakin' and grinding their asses up on the screen
would Dick Clark approve? 
(oh well, he's dead)
I used to think that was something
but now it just grosses me out
we both came from a time and a place
when women had more class
and a lot more grace

I checked you out on YouTube

and yes you're still a beauty
though age begins to take its toll
and the glitter wears off
and so I'm wondering
did your fame bring you happiness
you know cuz
it all ends up in the same place
in the end
and maybe you're thinking it too
sitting here
30 minutes till the new year
recalling that old Peggy Lee song
Is That All There Is?

30 comments:

  1. aahhh, i love Timo in reverie. really good. happy new year! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Marian. HOPPY GNU YEAR! (And happy hangover)

      Delete
  2. Oh one of your best, kiddo. I, too, remember a day when women had more grace - all the crotch grabbing makes me feel just like my grandmother would, if she could see it. The looking back has its painful wonderings.......sigh. Happy New Year, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know......how come if you ask a co-worker for a date, she might claim harassment, but if you get up in front of her at a karaoke bar and grab your crotch, she wouldn't think anything of it???

      Delete
  3. we both came from a time and a place
    when women had more class
    and a lot more grace

    I think that a lot, when I see these chicks today, with their hair that looks like plastic wire, their botox and the visual drone of their constantly forward-pushing boobs and booties. I imagine most men operate constantly on sensory overload these days. (It isn't always fun to get old and grumpy, but it has it's moments.) The what-ifs of the past are a constant fascination, and you sing that old sweet song here.

    BTW, Timo--toads has changed their Open Link day to Tuesday--you linked to a 55 prompt--so you may want to re-link this tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for that info, mah dear. And your always insightful comments, of course

    ReplyDelete
  5. NYE always does bring up memories of "what if?" I agree with Hedge about loving the lines about a time and place when had more class and grace! All I could picture was Miley Cyrus twerking-yuck! Great poem with a lot of "feel" to it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah.. those sounds like some memories.. we might think that life would have been different if only.. but still it's just what it is.. and I guess it cannot be easy to put up an appearance..

    ReplyDelete
  7. ... why, yes,
    tim ...it's always minus me ... that's how life goes and that's how spice is added ... but memories get sweeter as eternity cums closer ... ya? ... meow ... Love, cat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh that time of grace sigh;


    ╲\╭┓╱
    ╭✿ ╯Happy New Year
    ┗╯\╲

    http://myblog-verses.blogspot.com/2015/01/one-word-listening.html

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  9. very detailed observations.
    glad to see you put your version in a verse,
    share with us.

    Happy rally.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 30 minutes differences,
    wow.

    a carefully crafted story,'
    profound entry.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. : (. Love it. We still have class, though. : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was flipping around
    and landed on one of the Spanish channels
    and suddenly thought of you
    and wondered what you'd be doing
    about now
    and wondering how your life turned out
    minus me


    anything could inspire a person, or a story.
    wow.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like this one. I like how you took the reader on a trip - a good trip at that. The thing with us as humans is that most times we put too much effort in the chase for the glitters but when all is said and done, the only thing we really can claim is a bag of skin and a head full of memories. Hopefully we were paying attention to those as well.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Poetry in the vernacular resonates.

    ReplyDelete
  15. youtube examination on her or him,
    so detailed descriptions.

    ReplyDelete
  16. super relatable. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. man and woman will always fight for grace and job force.
    powerful rflection.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My fav lines:
    you know cuz
    it all ends up in the same place
    in the end
    and maybe you're thinking it too
    sitting here

    It all ends up in the same place indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  19. a man's dream, for women,

    hope all that work out one way or another.

    ReplyDelete
  20. life comes in circles,
    after a round, we go back to the same place ...

    ReplyDelete
  21. amazing story.
    the details you placed in ares stunning.

    ReplyDelete